It’s Like A Meal, But Made In Just 30 Minutes

There is no greater resource than a well-stocked freezer. (Except maybe a well-stocked freezer working in harmony with an equally well-stocked pantry.) There are still a couple of quarts of frozen fish stock that I made a while back from a halibut skeleton, and the presence of a big bag of snow crab legs just above the stock containers got the wheels turning.

There was also a bag of a rice blend- long, short, and wild, about five varieties- left from I’m not sure what, but the amount was just right for the three of us. So I thawed the stock and made risotto. As the grains neared doneness, I steamed the legs in a little of the stock to thaw them, then poured that crabtastic goodness into the rice while I cut open the legs and cut the meat into small pieces. These I added just at the end, along with some frozen peas and a splash of yuzu juice. Parsley and scallions to finish.

Sweet, gently oceany, with a nice nutty bite from the rices- just the thing for a rainy November evening. Can I have a TV show now?

1. Zoomie
    11/15/2009

I would relish your TV show. Who can I call to request it?

2. Julia
    11/15/2009

I like your style! Working with what you got (in the fridge, freezer, pantry, garden) is what it's all about!

3. We Are Never Full
    11/16/2009

shit… you need to grow piggie t*ts and a fat ass and then, yes, you too can have a TV show. did i just make you throw up a little in your mouth? sorry. just sayin'.

4. Brooke
    11/16/2009

Yes you can. Please replace the one already in existence. I hate that show with a passion, and your food actually looks edible.

5. peter
    11/17/2009

Zoomie: Mmmmm… relish…

Julia: Thanks for reading and commenting.

Amy: Ew. Yes. And true. Boy, that asterisk really helped keep the decorum level elevated, btw.

Brooke: If only I could. Seriously. Plus, I just got some awesome pleated jean shorts, so I'm ready.

6. Julia
    11/18/2009

Just realized who you were talking about. I'm slow. And I guess I was thinking about the food instead of throwing up in my mouth. But at least now I know what piggie t*ts are.

7. cook eat FRET
    11/18/2009

i need a freezer – a big one. it's a problem as the one have is full of jenny craig frozen dinners.

ha…

tv show. i can see it happening. even if you are a smug son of a bitch.

8. peter
    11/20/2009

If I had a show I would totally have you all as guests.