Sloppy Joes are usually a pretty lowbrow punt of a dinner, but they can hit the spot. And when they’re made like this, they become a different sort of animal altogether.
Here’s what went in to their fabrication:
- Ground bear meat, shot about 5 miles down the road
- Ramps, foraged from the same area
- A little homemade miso-cured bacon for fat
- Yogurt whey from the most recent batch
- Homemade ketchup made from homegrown tomatoes
- Spices, etc.
- On homemade herbed rolls brushed with more of the whey to get nice and brown on top
Plus sautéed spinach and a huge salad. Provençal rosé. So very enjoyable.