Pork And Cabbage

This doesn’t look like much, admittedly, but the flavors were stellar. I made a simple broth from the BBQ pork bones we saved from Saturday’s dinner, simmering them for about three hours with onion, celery, carrot, ginger, fennel, anise, clove, garlic, and lemongrass. Then I strained it and ladled it into bowls of silky udon to which I added a spoon of soy-braised burdock and a big heap of kimchi from the jar.

The result was a transparent, weightless broth bearing the full aromatic wallop of slow-smoked pork ribs, plus the added complexity of the Asian flavors, enriched with earthy burdock and bright crunch, tang, and spice of the just-warm kimchi. Some cilantro or scallion would have made a nice garnish, as would a sliced jalapeño, but we didn’t have any of those. What we did have was a big bottle of local Belgian-style ale, which was on balance preferable to a bunch of greenery anyway.

1. Brooke
    March 5

Sweet, I’m first.

I looooooove this one. That broth sounds pretty much like heaven, and udon and cabbage make me happy. So simple, but so good.

2. Heather
    March 5

I’ll take beer over greens anytime. Also, cabbage is a vegetable, and a cruciferous one at that, so I don’t know why you’d really need anything else.

I used the last of my braised pork last night (with guasanas y calabacitas!), but like a damn fool, I tossed the bones. Luckily, I still have like, 30 lbs in my freezer.

3. Jo
    March 5

“What we did have was a big bottle of local Belgian-style ale, which was on balance preferable to a bunch of greenery anyway.”

Hear hear!!

4. The Spiteful Chef
    March 5

Hey, do you know what, if any, miraculous nutritive powers that things like sauerkraut, pickles, and kimchee offer? I’m curious, because I eat the fuck out of that stuff basically all the time.

5. Brittany
    March 6

I agree with Heather. Veg is covered.

Drink up.

This looks so cozy, by the way.

6. peter
    March 6

Brooke: There’s not much better than a bog ol’ bowl of noodle love on a cold night.

Blanche: I was thinking more from a visual and flavor overtone point of view: the garnish.

Jo: Huzzah!

Kristie: Check out “Wild Fermentation” by Sandor Katz.

Brittany: There’s something about udon in good broth.