By Request

So the wife comes home from the store the other day armed with a tub of fat scallops and a pack of good bacon, and suggests that it would be a good idea if I wrapped the former in the latter. I did, fastening them with rosemary (perfect, because a bunch of branches on the plant just died to due the unhappy combination of underwatering and proximity to the radiator.) I put them on circles of the curried cauliflower-dashi gel and dribbled a pan sauce of agave, soy, and all the bacony goodness over them.

As good as they were, the next morning a few leftover ones chopped into scrambled eggs with truffle oil and rolled up in a tortilla with some sambal for breakfast were absolutely insanity-inducing.

True story.

1. cook eat FRET
    March 1

and a good one too…

something about scallops and cauliflower… and thyme – just sends me. but the rosemary bacon version with your pan sauce sounds wonderful.

sometimes your combinations confuse me but insanity-inducing is hard to question.

2. Brittany
    March 1

such an obliging husband. I can practically taste the nommy pan sauce.

The cauliflower-dashi gel thingy is harder for my food imagination to conjur up, but not because it doesn’t sound delicious.

I would totally order that.

3. Peter M
    March 1

I think she’ll kick you out of bed just to get you to serve her another brekkie in bed.

Dessert? (evil grin)

4. Heather
    March 1

Looks like your wife has been reading Jamie Oliver cookbooks.

And “ew” at El Greco commenting on your sex life.

5. The Spiteful Chef
    March 1

What gellifying agent do you use? That almost looks like an agar agar concoction.

6. Hannah
    March 2

I just finished reading through your archives while I was housesitting this weekend and I wanted to say that I really enjoy reading about the wonderful things you do with food.

I especially enjoy that you use everything.

Thank you so much for being an inspiration.

7. lisa
    March 2

I want that breakfast taco on the menu at my local coffee house.

8. We Are Never Full
    March 2

i don’t believe it.

if anyone but you mentioned how you used the leftovers i’d laugh. but you saying it, i’m writing this down.

9. peter
    March 2

Claudia: It is easily induced in me, and it’s a short trip.

Brittany: But you’d skip out on the check, wouldn’t you.

Peter: I’ll never tell.

Blanche: She doesn’t read cookbooks ever.

Kristie: Agar it was. You win the stuffed penguin.

Hannah: Wow, thanks. You deserve a medal for wading through all of that.

Lisa: Oh, man, would they clean up.

Amy: Bacon and sambal. You heard it here first.